Daily Boost Podcast Archive
The year 2020 has proven to be a never-ending challenge for many. It has also confirmed that having control of your mindset and actions are now pivotal traits.
I’ve worked with thousands of people who find themselves against a wall and stuck in neutral. Two things always happened:
1) Through no fault of their own, everything familiar was no longer. They know they need to pivot but are frozen.
2) Not knowing which way to go, they were waiting for permission to get started – even if it was from themselves.
The solution is to start thinking like a self-made person.
Being self-made means that YOU decide what YOU want, and YOU don’t need to wait for anybody’s permission. You do it.
You have everything inside of you to make 2020 a great year. Accept that change must happen and take action right away.
Have you ever had the feeling that something is holding you back? You have limiting beliefs.
You were not born with limiting beliefs. Your experiences have installed a belief system within you. It serves as your guide in everything you do. The next time you find yourself unable to move forward, try these steps:
1) Identify the thought or behavior that is blocking you. In today’s busy world, that can be a challenge. Catch yourself in the act, pause, and identify what you are feeling.
2) Test that feeling by asking WHY you feel that way. Is it real, or is it an automatic response? Is it necessary for you? Would you like to keep it or change it?
3) Validate the answer you gave yourself, and commit to experiences that support your goals. You are now changing the path of your life.
Having limited beliefs is ordinary and necessary. Can you imagine what your life would be like if you had no limits at all? Wait? You don’t!
Change is one of those things that happens over time for most people. Sometimes you have no choice. If the past few months’ events have you thinking about tweaking your life – I have a couple of suggestions to get you started.
1) No matter what dreams you hold, be sure to inventory the good, bad, and ugly of your current situation. You can’t move forward if you don’t know where you are starting. Don’t be afraid. Information is power.
2) Next, decide WHAT you want and paint a picture of your life after your journey. Knowing your destination before you begin assures your success.
3) Now that you have laid the foundation, it’s time to understand WHY you want it so bad. Doing the previous two steps should have built your desire and excitement. When that happens, it’s time to lock in your WHY and get moving.
Know where you are, what you will create, and WHY you must achieve your goal. Realistic and grounded thinking makes anything possible.
What would you say if I told you that being happier is within your control and has nothing to do with your mindset?
A study from Dartmouth College found that most people are happy before they turn 18 and after 60 years of age. In between is where you ride the happiness roller coaster.
How do you get off?
It turns out that being happier comes down to three things:
1) Control. People who have a feeling of control in their lives tend to be happier in general.
2) Education. Whether you earn a college degree or teach yourself, more education means a happier you.
3) Job. You were born to be busy. Having a full-time or part-time job, even owning your own business will make you a happier person.
Your education and your job enhance your view of the world. So if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, fill your mind with lots of education and work at a satisfying job.
Your reward will be a feeling of control that will put a smile on your face every day.
I have a question for you –
Are you a Rock Star or a member of the band?
Either is okay, but it sure helps to know which Role you play while you are moving toward your goals.
I remember talking with my Son after graduation. He had set his sights on becoming a Rock Star. Now, as a Dad who had BIG dreams and hard-won experience, I knew I had to give him perspective. So I asked –
Are you willing to do what it takes to rise to the top? And if you don’t get what you want, will you be happy settling for life in the background?
That’s when he said, “I wouldn’t be happy being a background singer.”
He chased his dreams for a few years until he found a new passion that fits him like a glove. He may not be on stage, but he is a huge fish in a massive pond – and happy as a clam. You might call him a Rock Star!
You will always get what you want if you are willing to do whatever it takes to reach your dreams.
How bad do you want it?
Two years ago, a friend called to let me know she found the home she was going to live in forever. Now she’s shopping again. When I heard the story of her search, it sounded familiar.
Whether it’s a home, happiness, or anything else, it always seems to go like this –
You want something different – although you may not know what you mean by that.
You settle into “I’ll know it when I see it” mode and start exploring.
Your search becomes all-consuming and begins to stress you out. You stop.
That’s when the perfect “fill in the blank” opportunity pops into your life.
“See! I can see it now!” You thrust yourself into action mode and turn your dreams into reality.
True or true?
I call this exploring the possibility.
Sometimes you have to see, touch, and feel things before you know if you want it.
How much better would your day be if you knew what surprises were lurking around the corner?
While you can’t predict everything, you can prepare for most things using “How Do I Feel Strategy Sessions.”
Here’s how it works:
1) Take a few minutes and review what’s going on in your life. Your job. Your vacations. Your relationships. Your goal is to recognize what is likely to need your attention.
2) Now, think through every possible scenario and outcome for each item on your list. Imagine what may happen and craft a plan for handling it in your favor.
3) When the situation arrives, remember how you decided to handle it and stay in control.
Thinking through and forming a pre-planned response will always make you the most powerful person in the room.
Do you ever run out of day before you run out of To-Dos?
Getting what you want in life if often blocked by simple habits that are getting in your way. There are two that everybody tends to miss:
1) The first productivity super-charger is to understand that tomorrow begins today. Planning ahead and setting your path is vital to reach your desired outcome.
2) The second takes a few minutes in the morning before you get busy. The goal is to ground yourself, review your days’ plan, and reaffirm what must be done.
There’s one more that is even more important.
Every day has “Non-Optional Activities” that take more time than you think. Non-Opts are taking care of personal needs, like eating and sleeping. They are traffic delays—someone walking into your office or calling you for advice.
Non-Opts are always present and they sap your productivity by robbing you of your time and focus.
Recognizing and allowing time for non-opts is the fastest way to optimize and ramp up your productivity.
Have you ever found yourself setting a goal and then pushing the pause button?
When my clients are revved up, excited, and not moving, the first thing I do is validate their goal by asking:
1) Do you know what your goal looks like and believe you can attain it?
2) Do you have a roadmap for achieving your goal?
3) Are the steps within your roadmap sufficient to reach your goal?
Number three is the most critical indicator.
An example would be a goal of losing 100 pounds in a year – with a plan that results in a loss of 5 pounds per month. It’s a good plan, but you won’t reach your goal.
Know your goal. Believe it is possible. Create a roadmap. Validate that your actions will result in success. That’s how you do it.
Have you been busier than ever or sidelined waiting for life to continue these last few months?
You’re not alone.
Most people are feeling off-balance, unfocused, and lacking direction and momentum.
When I feel momentum slow, I have a favorite question I ask myself and others who need a boost –
What CAN I do?
Are you willing to ask? Are you ready to accept the answer no matter how small? No matter how big or scary?
If so, you will free yourself from being stuck, and a path will reveal itself.
Experience has taught me the answer will be one of two choices:
1) A minimal adjustment in some area of your life.
2) The realization that something significant must change. Are you ready to toss out the old and go for it?
Ask yourself, “What CAN I do?” – and be willing to accept the answer that you receive.
Eliminate Confusion. Create Your Plan. Get Motivated.
Don't let Confusion and Frustration Stop Your Dreams